Friday, March 23, 2012

Step Ten: Study from the Best

One of the things that I find most satisfying about photography is the aspect of learning. Learning about the camera, learning about composition, learning about light and learning to challenge oneself. Everything I have learned is from blogs and books so I thought I would share the books and blogs that have taught me the most.

Books I recommend include:
  1. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson - I had to read this book three times over several years before I grasped what Bryan was trying to teach me. Not because it's really difficult, but because I'm a visual person and sometimes my brain shuts down when it sounds too complicated to me. My point  is, don't give up if it doesn't come easy. But this book is a must if you want to learn more about controlling your camera and not just get lucky shots every now and then. 
  2. Photographically Speaking: A Deeper Look at Creating Stronger Images by David duChemin - This book really pushes you to become a better photographer by creating more compelling images. I haven't yet finished the book because there is a lot of food for thought complete with exercises. It's not the kind of book I can just blow through. I highly, highly recommend it if you're looking to improve the composition of your photographs.
  3. Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters Guide to Shooting from the Heart - This book has some good ideas for taking more inspired shots of every day living. This is a good one for anyone with any type of camera. 
  4. The Art of iPhoneography: A Guide to Mobile Creativity - This is an inspiring book which helps you to make the most of your mobile camera. It is geared for iPhone users, but with so many great Android apps, I'm sure it would be applicable regardless of the cellphone you use.
  5. Any book by Michael Freeman is also highly recommended, but I preferred David duChemin's book. He not only challenges the reader to be more thoughtful in the process, but he makes good arguments as to the reasons why and then gives you exercises to help you along the way. 
Blogs I recommend include:
  1. Karen Russell - she offers an online photography course, explaining things in such a way that I'm able to understand what she's talking about and put it into action. She was my first inspiration for wanting to take better pictures. 
  2. Erin Cobb - she offers an online photoshop and photoshop elements course and like Karen, explained things in such a way that I could understand. Erin also has a great sense of humor so I enjoy reading her blog.
  3. David duChemin - David's blog, The Pixelated Image, contains stunning images and great writing. Anyone who states that his blog is used for good and not for evil is okay by me. I love his images and his philosophy. My dream would be to take one of his workshops...in Italy.
  4. iheartfaces.com - this is a community dedicated to both professional and amateur photographers that offers photo challenges and advice from those in the business. It offers a wealth of information and resources.
  5. Shutter Sisters - another community dedicated to woman with a heart for photography. 
In step eleven, I'll share what you may want to do with your DSLR so you start getting the most out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment