Wednesday, December 5, 2012

On the Fifth Day

One of the reasons I love December so much is that this is my birthday month. When I was little I used to wish that I had been born on Christmas Day. Why not? Celebrate my birthday along with Jesus AND get twice as many birthday presents. As I grew older, I was surprised to learn that most people who have a birthday on Christmas feel short-changed, as a matter of fact, most people who have their birthday in December feel short-changed.

I was never made to feel that way. Even though my brother, Greg's, birthday was just days away from mine, we were never given combination celebrations or given the birthday/Christmas present present. My day was always special...well except for college when my birthday always fell on finals week so I had to wait to celebrate with friends until the last final was in the books.

But, otherwise, I loved that my birthday was mixed with the festivities of Christmas. Added to that is the fact that December in California is generally a very beautiful month. The morning air is cool and crisp, the skies are usually blue. If the rain comes, it's usually for a day or two, making for beautiful blue skies afterwards.

For me, this is a special birthday. After all the struggles of the past few months, I'm especially happy to celebrate this birthday. Sure I had to work, but I was able to work from home. Most importantly, I'm able to enjoy life again.

At lunchtime, I found myself at the DMV, having received a renewal notice in the mail in early October advising me that I needed to renew my license in person because they wanted an updated photo and my thumbprint. At the time I received the notice and for days after, I was in no condition to even think about the process so I postponed making my appointment. Suddenly it was now or never. The thought did cross my mind to just go another day, but I was afraid that going late would require me to take a written test, which I did not want to study for.

So there I stood in the long line of idiots who didn't make an appointment, hoping for the best. Thankfully, the wait time wasn't long and I was back home, at work in less than an hour and a half.  While I was there, I snapped this photo. Would have taken more, but I forgot my phone wasn't on silent and when camera snapped, the man sitting on the chair closest to me, quickly looked up and kept looking in my direction. My number was called while I was waiting for him to calm down so that was that.



After work, Brie and I went to get our nails done. I opted for a snowflake look which I was so happy with.






































In between it all I felt so blessed with text messages, Facebook posts, phone calls and Instagram messages from family and friends who sent their love and well wishes. I was especially touched to have so many of Brie's friends sending me love.

After a lovely dinner with mom, Brie and I headed off to the store to shop for a special friend who has a birthday tomorrow. When we got back home, Brie and I went to the mirror to confirm what I had suspected...over the last few months, I've shrunk about three inches.

I am now officially, a little old lady :)

Happy birthday to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment