Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Problem with Pictures

Last week while in Austin, as I walked around downtown after work, I was struck not only by the sights of my surrounding, but the sounds and even the smell of the city. I remember wishing there was a way I could bottle it all up.

















The problem with pictures is that it only records the sights we see. Lost are the sounds and the smells which probably probe those deeper parts of our memories. On this night I ventured out to the infamous 6th Street. The night was cool, but the sounds of music blared out from the open doors as I passed bar after bar. There were also street musicians adding to the cacophony that reached my ears. As beautiful as this picture is, it doesn't convey any of the other sensory perceptions I experienced as I walked up the street.


















No comments:

Post a Comment