Sunday, October 27, 2013

Finding the Gift in it All

A few years ago, when I went up north to visit my sister, she suggested we spend one evening at The Painted Cork, a little local establishment where patrons could paint a picture and enjoy a little vino while creating their masterpiece. I wasn't so sure about the whole thing. Me with a paint brush, painting something other than solid lines? I could barely draw stick figures.

Eliz was so enthusiastic about the whole thing which was really astounded me. Being such a perfectionist it's often hard for my sister to start an art project because she is afraid of making a mistake. I couldn't tell her no. And after one look at the art studio, I was glad that I didn't. No matter how horrendous my painting would be, I would at least be assured of some decent pictures of the night.



It turned out to be much more fun than I thought. The instructor took us step by step through the process and spurred on by a little wine, I found myself dipping my paintbrush into the paint as though I was the next Van Gogh. The best part of the whole evening was watching Eliz create with such ease and confidence. Seriously, that girl should walk around with paintbrushes in her hand.



Knowing my best friend loves to paint, I tried looking for similar classes here in the south, but none appeared to compare….until a few weeks ago when I happened upon a little place in Newport Beach. There was a painting class coming up in which the scene was a postal card of the Eiffel Tower. Perfect! I sent the link to Liz, asking if she was interested. The next day, I was signing us up for class. I was determined that I would be well enough on that day to go.

That day is today. It's not to be. I'm disappointed, but not as crushed as I thought I would be. Instead, I'm thankful I have a friend who is likely disappointed, too, but loves me more than spending the day in Newport Beach painting. Today we will spend a quiet afternoon together, maybe get something to eat, drink a little coffee. I may even convince her to help me clean out my room a little more. If I'm going to be more of a homebody, it'll help if my room looks pretty hang out in.

Yesterday passed slowly. With ups and downs. Tears and joy. I had planned to power through, but I just can't. I can't afford to put myself in a position where I do more damage. I managed to go to the book store for about thirty minutes and then drove through the Starbucks for a mocha and morning bun to lift my heart. I need to take advantage of this time of rest and mending and find the gift in it all. It's not easy to do when places in my heart call out to me.

But there were quiet happy moments, too. I took my camera out and took a few pictures. Not great ones, but it was a start. And I didn't let my emotions get carried away when they came. I let them come, but said goodbye as quickly as I could to the ones that shouldn't stay. Today my back aches more which makes me thankful that I was honest with Liz last night and finally told her that I didn't think I should go. I'm praying that the Tylenol I took a short while ago takes the edge off so I can stay off the pain meds prescribed by the doctor.

There are still a few days left of October. I'm going to make the most of them as best as I can. This day day is a gift. For that I give thanks.

Things I am thankful for:

  1. A good nights sleep
  2. My best friend who understands and is coming to visit today
  3. My mom's company
  4. My walker that arrived yesterday
  5. My dad who will come and put the walker together
  6. Good magazines
  7. Belle
  8. My cameras
  9. Online shopping
  10. Today

No comments:

Post a Comment