Saturday, October 19, 2013

Reprieve

I came home from the doctor's on Wednesday armed with a high powered pain medication. Well, at least with more kick than the Tylenol I've been relying on for the past month. Since I had just taken some Tylenol a few hours before the prescription was filled, I was biding my time until I could take the relief I so desperately wanted. But a strange thing happened as the hours passed, so did the pain. When the time had come that I could take the pill, I decided to wait and see what would happened.

An hour went by, then another and soon it almost nine o'clock at night. I discussed the pros/cons of taking the pain medication before the pain really set in versus waiting until I really needed it with my mom. Uncertain, I grabbed the white bottle that promised to mask the pain and typed in the name of the drug into my computer's search bar. Everything I ever wanted to know about the drug suddenly appeared before my eyes. The side effects alone made me decide to wait until I needed it. I haven't regretted that decision.

I went to bed that night for the first time able to lay comfortable on my back and turn side-to-side while I slept. I awoke yesterday morning feeling like a new person, the pain on my left side virtually gone and I was able to stand much straighter than before. It was a day of reprieve. It was what my heart and soul needed.

I began to make plans for today. I would go out with my camera, take a drive to The Pie Hole where they are celebrating their two year anniversary with Banana Cream Pie. Banana Cream Pie. There must be some nutritional value in that. I would even take my camera with me. Maybe, just maybe, I would feel a spark of creativity again.

My excitement was short-lived. I woke this morning with the pressure in my abdomen again. Not as pronounced as Tuesday or Wednesday, but it was (and is) still there. Disappointing to say the least, but I am not defeated. I know this will pass. I believe it with every fiber of my being. And even if it doesn't, I will still find joy. In my life. In the every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment