Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Begin at the Beginning

I've decided to join one more photo challenge. (Ackkk!!!) I know, but like Scavenger Sunday, this one is just once a week and it looks like it'll really stir my creative juices. 52 Photos Project is hosted by Bella Cirovic and each week she'll give us a prompt in which we have a few days to come up with our interpretation.

Since this is the first week of the 52 weeks, the challenge is Begin at the Beginning. What am I beginning right now? I think I'm in the beginning of my creative journey since this whole thing started. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. When I finally had enough courage to read some of the books my sister sent me, I read over and over again how women felt such creative drive as a result. A silver lining? At that time, I grasped on anything that gives me hope.

As I worked through the chemo, the resulting side effects, the rebuilding of my normal, I didn't feel the least bit creative. I didn't really have time to dwell upon it. Every once in a while I would feel like a failure because it just wasn't there. But there must have been a seed that was planted because it's sprouting out in all different directions right now. Photography, writing, even a little crafting on the side. It's all invigorating. It drives me to the point where it is hard to concentrate on work. You know, the job that pays the bills, the one that was faithful to me when I was sideswiped.

I want to be careful not to burn out and have nothing but half finished projects to show for this. The best thing I can think of it to pace myself, to do at least a little every day. I want to write the story of my life, for me, for my children, for God. There I said it. I want to write a photo journal, for me, for my children, for God. There I said it. I have started it, but more importantly I want to finish it, for me, for my children, for God. There I said it!



If you want to begin at your beginning, too, go to 52 Photos Project and join along.

10 comments:

  1. I do hope your story is written. Everyone has a story in them but getting it out is hard. Life like our projects can be overwhelming my advice is don't sweat it. Go with the flow if you feel like writing for three weeks ignore the other projects they will be there when you are in the mood for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project, good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful image. and i feel the gentle passion in your words. go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you said you want to finish it. It's so easy to start and so hard to finish, no. Also, this image really grabbed me. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo. Best wishes with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for telling us the story of your creative spark. I have always wanted to be a writer. Little did I know it would be a blog or term papers. I just recently got back to journaling. I sorta got stuck for awhile. Regarding burn out-if you're writing, keep at it, same with photography. If it's crafting, one at a time is best. Just enjoy it. I don't think you can burn out from being creative but if you scatter your energy...well...that's what I've been doing so now I'm re-focusing. Thanks for letting me blather on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a story. now write it. do it. you have a wonderful target audience.

    one baby step at a time. little by little. just for you. your children. God.

    looking forward to seeing more on the project!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One step at a time! A beautiful beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb ~ Thank you so much for linking up this week :)
    I love the project you're beginning - documenting your story.
    It's a powerful project and I would love to see how it unfolds.
    Go easy.
    xo Bella

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photo caught my attention on 52 Photos. I hope you are doing well in your recovery and enjoying the discovery of new projects. I can relate to feeling the excitement about new ideas for projects and then worrying how to follow through, esprcially with writing. Your post and photo came across perfectly. Thanks for the reminder to just write (and also to "just say it!")
    - Carrie

    ReplyDelete