Tuesday, November 5, 2013

30 Days of Gratitude - Day Five

For too many years, I lived in discontent, longing for a life that wasn't mine, convinced that if I just had this or that I would be fulfilled. The problem was, I really didn't know how to get there. I wanted things handed to me, to wake up one morning next to some magic beanstalk that would save the day.

Through the grace of God, I finally came to accept the life I had. Once I did that I was determined to embrace it, take responsibility for owning it and do what I could to change the things I could change for the better. I had read that writing goals down on paper has a powerful impact so I took to doing that. I carried around a little notebook, writing pipe dreams down some with more hope than others.

One of those dreams was "work from home".

One of those little notebooks ended up deep in the glove compartment of my car, long forgotten until one day I was looking for something and out popped that little notebook with my list of dreams. The irony of it all was the dream of working from home was finally a reality. Through a series of fortunate and unfortunate events, I was a full-fledge member of the working from home force. What I've learned is that once the door opens, it's easy to keep it propped for future opportunities.

For many years, working from home allowed me the luxury of being more engaged in Brie's school experience. I only wished I had the same pleasure when Matt was younger too, but at least during that time the office from which I worked was closer than my corporate office now.

At this time, however, working from home has allowed me to continue to work as I convalesce. I have been so blessed by an employer who has supported and stood by me even when I'm unable to come in to do my job. With modern tools, I'm able to do that job just as easily 35 miles away.






































Today, I am filled with gratitude for my job and the ability to work from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment