Sunday, November 17, 2013

30 Days of Gratitude - Day Seventeen

A very good friend of my sister-in-law is fighting for her life. Diagnosed in March with cancer, she was given six-months to live. She is a kind, caring, Godly woman. This week she invited all who are following her story to join her reading the book of James.

It was the book of James that changed my life so many years ago. Going through a struggle in my life, I opened my bible to James where I read that I needed to consider it joy that trouble had come my way for my endurance had a chance to grow. For the first time, instead of fighting it, I did what the bible told me and gave thanks. The struggle, while it was still there, lost its hold over me. God was in control. Not me, not my problem, but God. And just as importantly, God knew I was ready to grow.

What is endurance? It's the ability to withstand adversity and hardship.

Life is, at times, wonderful, but it's also fraught with pain, sorrow, hardship, disappointment, so much, too much disappointment. We can make good choices and things still go wrong. It's not for the fainthearted. If we don't have endurance, we won't find great joy. We will be overwhelmed, beat, overcome. We will give up. But with endurance, we press forward, strong in faith, believing, knowing that we will become stronger, fuller, more mature and good comes from that.

I am thankful for all the opportunity God has given me to grow.






































And, in case you were wondering, I plan on joining K's request to read James together. I invite you to do so, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment